Fullscreen View Fullscreen

Voorhees Mall & Murray Hall

Voorhees Mall is a large grassy area with stately shade trees on a block (sometimes known as "Voorhees Campus") of about 28 acres (0.11 km²) located on the College Avenue Campus of Rutgers University near downtown New Brunswick, New Jersey. Voorhees Mall is lined by many historic academic buildings, such as Van Dyck Hall and Murray Hall, which was originally built in 1909 to house the College of Engineering. Murray Hall was designed by alumnus Douwe D. Williamson (Rutgers College Class of 1870) and Frederick P. Hill (Rutgers College Class of 1883). Built partly with a gift from steel magnate and industrialist Andrew Carnegie, Murray Hall was named for David Murray, professor of mathematics and astronomy at Rutgers College and college trustee. Murray assisted George Cook in establishing the Rutgers Scientific School (now part of Cook College) and in getting Rutgers named a land-grant college under the Morrill Act of 1862. Today, Murray Hall houses classrooms and the university's Department of English and Writing Program. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voorhees_Mall

Views 3757
Synthy Score 82
Number of Images 148